Ayurveda supplements/ Indian Traditional herbs are widely used in the UK to treat minor symptoms or self-manage long term conditions. Since the early stages of pandemic, Ayurveda was used as pre-exposure and post-exposure prophylaxis for COVID-19 and to some extent managing symptoms of mild to moderate COVID-19.
Current study was part of Ayushmaan Project, initiated as community based participatory research in partnership with University of Warwick, UK; Aarogyam (UK) CIC and All India Institute of Ayurveda, Ministry of AYUSH, India.
This was a community based cross-sectional study conducted in primarily focused on British Indians, in which the use and prevalence of Ayurveda as well as factors associated were determined. During the January 2021 and February 2021, data were collected using a predesigned, pretested online questionnaire that included the study variables.
The survey was completed by 284 individuals with 83.4% response rate. Majority of who took part in the study were England (94.3%) and remaining from Scotland (5.7%). Nearly, half of the respondent were (44.4%) were front-line workers. In our survey, eight out of ten participants declared that they used traditional medicine for COVID-19 prevention or management. This finding could be explained by the fact that the use of traditional medicine is common in Indian culture. suspected COVID-19 and working in front-line were the most likely reasons to practice self-medication.
Survey reports has been submitted for peer review and soon will be available in clinical journal.